Harmonica

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Harmonica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFinland

I think that are no discussion about this lens yet. So what you think about it?

Panasonic announces new Post Focus technology, two new lenses including first Leica 100-400mm zoom lens

It actually looks quite nice and compact/small, but what can we expect about optical quality here? Do you think that it will be clearly better/sharper lens than Oly 75-300mm & Pana 100-300mm or do you think that ''Leica-name''  is mainly used here for marketings? How about against soon coming Oly Pro 300mm f4 (alone and with 1,4x tc)? I know, this is pure speculation at this point...

PS: Sorry...as this lens will be f6.3 in the long end (and not f6.5 like I wrote wrongly to topic).

Edited by Harmonica, 05 August 2015 - 10:35 AM.

• EdwardCece, Isaiahpa, GeraldEt and 1 other like this

Pete

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

Pete

X Man

• Administrators
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Nice!!!!  

Leica doesn't put their name on a lens without a direct manufacturing design of the optics!

Leica Optical design to a higher resolution and build from straight Pany lenses..

It should compare to the SHQ Oly lenses

Price?   $1500-1900 maybe...

Harmonica

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Harmonica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFinland

Nice!!!!  

Leica doesn't put their name without a direct manufacturing design of the optics!

Leica Optical design to a higher resolution and build from straight Pany lenses..

It should compare to the SHQ Oly lenses

Price?   $1500-1900 maybe...

I hope you're right what comes to optics. I have saved money for Oly 300mm f4 ..but now I wonder....should I still wait bit more before make my move...and see first how good option this could be. 

Pete

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

Pete

X Man

• Administrators
  • 9,589 posts

from a article about the new lens:

The LEICA DG lenses are designed and developed under the stringent quality standard certified by Leica that boast excellent optical performance.

Four single focal length LEICA DG lenses have already introduced to the market and have been highly acclaimed by users worldwide.

Panasonic LEICA DG 100-400mm f/4.0-6.3 telephoto zoom lens – Under Development | Digital Photography Live

cotneye

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:08 PM

cotneye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

I'd hold out for the speed and sharpness of the Oly 300 F4 and see if it ever comes out, what the price is and how good it is.

Nothing quite like the frustration of not getting a late evening shot because the lens is just a wee bit too slow.

cotneye

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

cotneye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

OR just wait a while longer and..... 

Olympus ED 500mm f/4 PRO IS Lens Patent | Camera News at Cameraegg

Pete

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

Pete

X Man

• Administrators
  • 9,589 posts

That 500 is the size of a 300 f/2.8 FF lens.. very nice and compact considering the 10x pull it has and a fast f/4

• cotneye likes this

Harmonica

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

Harmonica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFinland

I'd hold out for the speed and sharpness of the Oly 300 F4 and see if it ever comes out, what the price is and how good it is.

Nothing quite like the frustration of not getting a late evening shot because the lens is just a wee bit too slow.

Agree. And that is true especially here in north (half of the year).

OR just wait a while longer and..... 

Olympus ED 500mm f/4 PRO IS Lens Patent | Camera News at Cameraegg

Well...if that 500mm will ever come to sale...the price of the lens will be out of my own range. At least as long as I have not yet finished my summerhouse/summerplace project (which will still take years).

Edited by Harmonica, 29 August 2015 - 05:02 AM.

• cotneye and Michealj like this

cotneye

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

cotneye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

If I had a million dollars, maybe I'd buy us both the complete existing and future planned m43 pro series lenses.

https://www.youtube....h?v=okjXSWbJvZ8

‚Äč

cosinaphile

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

cosinaphile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts
  • Locationnyc

WELL THE REACH IS A LOVELY THING ..... being   ff  equiv of  200 to 800  is amazing   .   yet   i have trouble warming op to a lens  thats slower than 5.6 at the long end  .... it could   be great in spite of my aperture prejudice 

Harmonica

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Harmonica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFinland

Here is first test:

Bit more here:

Leica Lumix 100-400mm Finally Here

Unfortunately new Olympus Pro 300mm f4 will cost too much for me (2700 - 2800euros)....despite of my hard savings  :angry:....so for me this zoom will now be the only real option :( . So I really hope it will be optically clearly better/sharper than the present M4/3 long telephotozooms:  Pana 100-300mm or Olympus 75-300mm (which I have). Still before (pre)ordering one I definetly want to see more photos and read several more objective reviews.

In any case this Pana-Leica zoom is clearly lighter than that Oly prime (985g vs. 1475g) and I prefer that. Other thing is that I do not own Oly MC-14 tc at the moment....so I would ''need to'' buy it separately.

Perhaps my next camera body will also be Panasonic (and not Olympus) because of that lens....

Edited by Harmonica, 09 January 2016 - 12:52 PM.

lisandra

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:53 AM

lisandra

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,163 posts
  • Locationcaribbean
Had it for 2 weeks, its beyond amazing. Save up, do what you have to do, and go get it

Harmonica

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

Harmonica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFinland

Had it for 2 weeks, its beyond amazing. Save up, do what you have to do, and go get it

Sorry, did you mean that you had Pana-Leica for 2 weeks or Olympus Pro 300mm? I'm sure that Olympus will be amazing telelens as it has been blamed to be sharpest long telelens which Olympus has ever produced.

What comes to me....I have already saved enough to buy Pana-Leica (haven't bought any camera stuff for last  2,5 years time). But to get new 300mm f4 Olympus? That  would still be far. And even if I would be ready to save some more time to be able to purchase even Olympus....it would be very hard (for me) to justify using 2800euros for one camera lens.... I'm afraid.

cosinaphile

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

cosinaphile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts
  • Locationnyc

looks awesome but oh that price

• Michealj likes this

lisandra

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:13 AM